Monday, December 27, 2010

Altercations.


Last April, I went shopping with some birthday money. I don't really remember what all I bought--a few shirts at least. Irrelevant. Point being, I didn't like it. 

Sure, shopping is kinda fun. But then a few days or weeks down the road, the new stuff loses its fun newness and I just have more stuff and less money. Around that time (the time the fun had faded), I was also becoming more aware of some of the awful things that take place in order for clothes to become available to American consumers. We were talking about it in my Sociology class, I had read The Irresistable Revolution by Shane Claiborne...basically I just couldn't stop thinking about terrible working conditions of third-world children, and how much perfectly usable (if ugly and outdated) clothing already exists in the world. Pretty much, I concluded that I could not in good conscious buy new clothes. I came to see it as nothing more than the perpetuation of an unnecessary and extremely harmful system. 

(And this is not even touching on the damage consumerism is doing to the consumers! Eh, another soapbox, another day...)

Anyways, as much as I'd like to say that ever since that day, every dime I've spent has gone only toward sustainable companies with ethical practices. I can't say that...but I CAN say that things are different now. I have bought less new clothing this year than...like...EVER. Instead, whenever I can I've been buying stuff at thrift stores or yard sales or raiding my family's closets (I mentioned ugly and outdated...haha, I kid I kid). But here's the fun part: altering it so it's no longer ugly and outdated! In my opinion anyways, I suppose that's debatable ;). But in all honesty, never before have I so enjoyed sewing, or been so thankful for having grown up with a seamstress mama. 

And, I got a dress form for Christmas, and a book to enhance my pattern-making skills, so basically I'm taking this thing to the next level. Hahaha...but seriously, gone are the days of alterations by trial and error; this involves pinning where the article of clothing needs to be takin in while I'm wearing it. Now I just need to assemble it...and give her a name, obvi.

Also, there's something about creating that is just flat-out good for my soul. I hope this next statement isn't too far of a leap off track, but it totally connects in my mind: God created His children to worship Him and experience Him in such unique and...well, creative ways. That's all I got right now...maybe I can run with that thought another day.

Plus, tune in next week to hear about why I hate microwaves!!!!!
Just kidding.
Maybe.
As the Lord leads ;) ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment