Saturday, November 13, 2010

less.

This week I had to register for classes for spring semester. So stressful--trying to figure out which classes to take, how many I need to take, how to balance that with what I want/don't want to take.

Basically, here's what it came down to: take more credits because I feel like I should and my friends are and maybe later it will pay off OR take less credits because more feels overwhelming.

I went with the "less" option.

I suppose it's all about priorities. Yes, school is a priority right now when it comes to how my time is structured. My main priority, even. But I decided on less credits because, the way my wise, wonderful Mama put it, "Making space is a very holy thing."

See, I could throw myself entirely into school, get perfect grades, take a huge class load, and be very successful in my academic endeavors.

...At the expense of nearly everything else.

Or, I could give myself some holy space. Intentionally leave room for the things that are my true and lasting priorities. Because the Jesus who loves me has called me to a life centered around relationship with him. Which means time with him, and flowing from that is time with other people, time to create, time to rest, time to just enjoy.

So I slid out from under the guilt that plagues someone who puts unrealistic and unhealthy expectations on herself (who, me???) and chose

less.

(And quite honestly, I'm pretty happy about it!)

1 comment:

  1. :)
    i love you.
    and your writing.
    and your wise, wonderful mama!

    ReplyDelete